Stirfried Dried Anchovies :: Myulchi Bokkeum (멸치볶음)

Hello everyone! My, it has been long, hasn’t it? I blinked and it’s almost November! After nearly a month-long visit, my parents left the other day to return to the motherland. I’ve been pretty blue the last couple of days, but I think I’m finally coming out of it — I actually think it gets harder the older I get.

As you can imagine, a lot of good ol’ fashioned Korean home cooking was had during that time. So much so, in fact, that I wasn’t able to document nearly enough as I wanted to because I was too busy eating. :P But of course, I had to share one of the basic Korean banchan (side dishes) that is pretty much one of the starter banchan you have as a kid: myulchi bokkeum.

IMG_2998

There are two main varieties: soy sauce-based and hot pepper paste-based. This one is the former — my O loves to have this simply with rice, he loves it that much! I tried my best to document the measurements, but as you all know, that didn’t last very long as we adjusted the seasonings pretty much up until it was done. The key points you want to look for are: sweet ‘n salty taste; deep golden color; sticky, crispy texture. If you feel you are getting tired stirring that wooden spoon, don’t let up! It’s important to keep the heat on the myulchi to get the moisture evaporated from their iddy biddy bodies.

2009_10_29

Myulchi Bokkeum (enough banchan for a couple of months!):
Ingredients:
– about 3 cups of dried anchovies (the small, not tiny, ones — and not the large ones used for broth)
– about 1/3 cup sugar (this is really to taste though! You do want enough to give it that caramelized crunch)
– about 2-3 TB soy sauce (again, to taste)
– about 1-2 TB sesame oil (ditto)
– about 1 TB sake or cooking wine (helps eliminate some of the raw fishy smell)
– about 1/3 cup corn syrup (=mulyut in Korean)
– sesame seeds, for garnish

Directions:
1. Add the myulchi to a colander to shake out any excess debris/dust.
2. Using a large skillet over medium heat, toast the myulchi until it starts getting crisp — this will take a few minutes, so be patient!
3. Start adding the sugar (you’ll probably add more later) to coat the myulchi. Keep stirring with a wooden spoon.
4. Add the soysauce, sake and sesame oil one by one. Keep tasting :)
5. Add the corn syrup last — this is the must-have ingredient that gives the myulchi its signature gloss. You’ll want to turn off the heat at this point.
6. Keep stirring until the myulchi get toasty brown and crispy. Some people (me) prefer theirs crispier like chips.
7. Pack in a classic Lock & Lock or any similar Korean banchan storage container. Keeps well in fridge for months, but always best fresh!

About these ads

6 Responses to “Stirfried Dried Anchovies :: Myulchi Bokkeum (멸치볶음)”

1. 1 Insuni November 1, 2009 at 11:05 am

I am glad you are back I’ve been looking foward to it, love how you give your recipes ^^

2. 2 shasa January 14, 2010 at 1:49 am

hi,

in korean supermarkets ive seen these marinated in chilli.
    so what should i add to it? just the red chilli flakes or gochujang?

thanks :)

• 3 eatyourbap February 24, 2010 at 9:39 am

Hi Shasa!

For the spicy version, you have to create a separate paste consisting of gochujang, gochugaru (the flakes) and the abovementioned ingredients. Make sure to mix well and smoothe before stirring it in — if it’s not ‘loose’ enough it might clump up a bit in the pan. Good luck!

3. 4 AnnyongAnyang February 23, 2010 at 10:21 pm

*sigh* I tried to make this and I think I messed up… the sugar immediately turned them almost black, even though it was on low heat. Maybe because I used raw sugar… I don’t know. They taste reaaaaallly salty even though I used a lot of sugar and corn syrup. I’m not sure if that is how they’re supposed to taste. I will have to try making it again sometime. ^^

• 5 eatyourbap February 24, 2010 at 9:33 am

Oh no, I’m so sorry to hear that! I have only used regular white sugar, but I know some people use brown sugar for that extra depth of flavor. I’ve used raw sugar, so I’m not sure how that would react with the other ingredients.

If there is a next time, maybe you can scale back on the soy and add gradually, tasting along. Perhaps your soy was more rich than mine. :) Again, sorry to hear about that!

4. 6 Ona September 19, 2014 at 11:11 am

I read a lot of interesting posts here. Probably you spend a lot of time writing, i know how
    to save you a lot of time, there is an online tool that creates high quality,
    SEO friendly posts in seconds, just type in google – laranitas
    free content source